Macro iPhoneography – Lunch with a Lady

"I’ve always loved Lindsey’s work, her eye for a photo and her engagement with her children through the iphone lens. In this article, Lindsey takes us on a new journey into the macro-world of her garden and beyond…" (Nicki Fitz-Gerald,iPC)







 

Macro & wide angle lens

 

I wanted to try something different with regards to iphoneography. So decided to buy some new gadgets for my iPhone 4.

One of my purchases was the 2 in 1 Macro/wide angle lens. This particular lens was inexpensive at £14.00 GBP. 

The Macro is proving to be incredibly great fun so far, realising that many images taken on the regular phone camera prior to this, would have benefitted greatly from this level of magnification.

 

Assembling the lens

The Lens was fairly easy to put together from the packaging, the macro and wide angle lens are very small but screw together for easier storage, supplied complete with protective covers. The lens is attached to the phone by magnet, easily fixed into place with an adhesive strip. One drawback is having to remove the plastic bumper from my phone to attach the macro, causes a slight delay.

 



Over my first week since receiving the lens I have mainly photographed things around the house and garden, this has been perfect with little time to get out to photograph more of my usual scenes. This may, hopefully, help to fill the gaps of having no photographic material, which personally is a regular occurrence for me.

The clarity and detail of images the macro is producing is quite incredible, often discovering the details on images after upload which were not visible to the naked eye. The areas around the subjects are also getting some great results for natural blur and bokeh, which is reducing the need for more applications. I am finding the blur particularly useful for providing a base for other apps like iris, should I choose to add any surface textures to these images in the future. On the whole, the majority of these images have required little post-processing and zero cropping. I find you have to get much closer to the subject than you would first expect, to achieve the best result. This has already proved quite dangerous for my phone during some bubble captures and already been just millimeters above water and a glass of wine ~ its days are now numbered.

 

Using available light

For the best results so far I have captured the images in good light, facing the sun to avoid shadows from myself, and also reduce shadows from the phone/macro itself, I have realised this is an issue with shooting so close to the subject. A steady hand would be a bonus, which unfortunately I do not have! So this is another challenge for myself, especially when the subject is running away from me! For flower captures outside the wind has proved to be a problem, making the camera work harder to focus!

 

Conclusion

So, to summarise. An inexpensive add-on. Great for trying something new. Fantastic detail and results. Great fun. Highly addictive! 

 

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————-





 

Tutorial for Lunch with a Lady

 

This is the last image I produced using the macro. This ladybird was found hiding underneath a leaf on our tree. The first captures I attempted proved difficult because of the ladybirds position so I carefully folded the leaf in half to bring it up into the light. It then moved into a great position along the edge of the leaf which allowed me to capture this side profile image.

To focus in on a particular area of the bug, simply tape the screen.

 

 

 

Step 1 – The image was taken on the side. First step was a quick rotate in Camera+

 

Step 2 – enhance clarity using Camera +

I have had some great results using this function with the macro images, particularly with the bug photos.

 

 

Step 3  Enhance colour in Camera+ using the filter Magic Hour (roughly 60%)

 

Note: I liked the result of the image and would be happy to leave it at this point. I decided on this occasion to add a surface texture to all the blur space above.

 

Step 4 Apply iris Photo Suite sandstone surface texture (60%)

 

 

Step 5 The texture covered up too much detail on the bugs so decided to mask this away from both the ladybird and her ‘dinner.’

 

 

Then image complete!

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

*

Related posts

Top