Blend images together to create this surreal image using Filterstorm & Snapseed

The Making of “The Big Mouth” by Nico Brons from the Netherlands

Apps used: Filterstorm, Snapseed, PhotoStudio HD, Photoforge and Halftone


Normally I made a lot of pictures with my Nikon DSLR. But then I discovered iPhone Art on the internet. I was captivated by the amazing images that were made and was inspired to make my own iPhone art. Now I’ve been creating iPhone Art since 2009 when I got my iPhone 3Gs. It had opened for me a new endless creative world and since I’ve been using my iPhone, I feel my work has had a creative boost. In 2012 I had a big solo exhibition in Amersfoort in the Netherlands where 50 of my iPhone images weree on display for three months. The same exhibition is now being held in Ieper Belgium until the end of 2012.

In this Tutorial I show you how to create my artwork, “The Big Mouth” So, let’s begin!

I take a lot of photographs of mannequins found in different shops and I try to bring them to life. I also use real human models for my photography. It’s up to you to discover the difference in my stream on Instagram.

For this project I used 3 basic images of mannequins. I took the pictures with my iPhone 3Gs and all the editing is done with my iPad.

I used a lot of apps that work for me. Of course there are people who can do the job with other apps. It is just what works for each person. What I mean there are maybe more possibilities to get the result.

These are the basic images:

Picture 1 is the basic picture, from picture 2 I took the eye and from picture 3 I took the mouth.

The first step is to make the pictures 2 and 3 ready for use. Picture 2 needs some more contrast and brightness in the eye. I used for this Snapseed.

The second step is to make picture 3 ready. This picture needs another angle and I used for this the Crop Tool of Photoforge because you can turn the picture by 1 degree at the time which is great for very precise work.




The third step is to make the basic image ready. I used for this one Filterstorm. Filterstorm is for me a great app and easy to use. I want the image first of all to make square. I load the image in Filterstorm and use the Crop Tool. If I do that there are great white shapes on the left and right side of the image.

We stay in Filterstorm and use at this time the Clone Tool, it is found under the filter set. I painted the white shapes on each side in the color of the image






The fourth step is to add the mouth in the face. The face is loaded in Filterstorm. I put the image with the mouth over the image with the face. I can do this with “Add Exposure” option and you can find it in the filterset on the bottom of the list. I can work in layers now. I can now change the size of the mouth to fit on the face. Then tap the mask button on the lower right.

Now you can paint in the mouth in the face. Play with the Diameter, Softness and Opacity of the brush to make a nice smooth transition. Do this carefully and as accurately as possible.


Repeat this for the eye in same manner. Load the image with the eye over the face. Paint in the eye carefully and as accurately as possible. Store the image in the highest resolution.


When all the painting and masking job is done you get the following image.

Now it is time to put some nice texture and color in the image.



The fifth step is to load the image in Halftone. I like this app for the nice texture you can get. You can blend in subtle textures. I didn’t want to make too heavy. I choose first the Vigilante filter for some color. For these filters you have to set Image Editing ON in the settings menu.

When you are in the settings menu you can set the size and strength of the dots. I make them not to strong.



Next I took the Aurora filter in Halftone and I store the image.


The sixth step is PhotoStudioHD for the final texture. In the category “Texturize” I took the Leather Canvas filter. I choose the “Draw Mask” function and painted in the texture where I want.


The seventh and last step is to remove the border that came with Halftone. I used again Filterstorm and the Clone Tool for this job.



And finally is this the result: 





Related posts